Friday, April 3, 2009

Funeral [R.i.P Kwon Tae Hun]

This week was a tough week for many of us, especially for the ones who knew Kwon Tae Hun. He was someone that I met when I was in High school, he was in the year below me. He and his sister both came from Korea, and were people who I met during the last 1.5 years in the ISSE (International Secondary School Eindhoven). After my graduation, my connection with what happen in the ISSE were kinda cut-off, but facebook was the only thing that allowed me to know what was happening to some people in different part of the world. When Yea Ji (Tae Hun's sister) and Tae Hun graduated, I didnt even know where they were going for their University. I knew they were both in Korea during the last summer, and that Yeaji went back to NL before I came to Korea. I didn't even know that Tae Hun was still in Seoul.

On wednesday, Ji Won broke the news to me about Tae Hun. I went on facebook and all the R.i.Ps that many people put on their status. Ji Hye told me about what happen to him, and it was then that I only realised that Tae Hun had a motorbike accident and passed away,.. in SEOUL! I was shock to hear this, I could not believe what had happen, and it was in Seoul, where Im living at the moment. This was a major topic that many people talked about, discussed, and cried for these few days. When I found out, I really wanted to go to the hospital that he was in, and pay my respect since we were in the same school and now in the same city.

On Thursday, Ju Hwan clariffied what happen to Tae Hun to me, told me what he found out. He called Tae Hun's mother and sent his regard to her. He helped me to find out where the funeral was, and at what time it was held. I made up my mind then that I will go to the funeral, despite that it was 30 mins away by car, and 7am in the morning. At the same time that evening, with Gi su's help, I got into contact with Tae Hyung, also someone that was in middle school with me, and also a friend of Tae Hun's. We both knew what happened to him, and were both discussing about going to the funeral. I wanted to go to the funeral, but I was a bit in doubt because I did not know what to expect, and what I must do when I get there. I did not want to intrude or be rude. Anyway, I still went.. .. ..

The funeral was held in a chapel/church, I cant tell the difference.. Soon after I arrived, the service for Tae Hun began. The closed coffin was carried in to the room followed by his family and closed relatives. A lot of people began to tear including myself. Standing in the same room as Tae Hun made me even more shock that he had left us. Seeing his picture in front of his coffin, I really cant believe this fact, and I cant believe what had happen, it was reality that everyone must face. During the service, we all prayed for him (in Korean) and sang hymns for him. I didnt know what to say during the praying, so I gave my own message to Tae Hun and also for others that could not come to the funeral. The service lasted about 45 minutes and the coffin was carried out of the room again. This was the last time that I was going to see Tae Hun, it was such a unbearable sight to see him go. The coffin was to be driven to a different province for the cremation; the family and relatives were all went on a bus right after the service to go for the cremation. And this, ended my participation in the funeral.

Nothing like this had happen to me before, I never attended a friend's funeral, I never had a friend that passed away so young. Seeing in Yea ji at the funeral, I really worry about her, she cried non-stop for days, and I really hope she can move forward and be happy again.
Good bye Tae Hun, I hope you can rest in peace wherever you will go, you will be a piece of my memory. I still remember the times we talked in school, and it seem like yesterday to me that we both just talked. We will miss you Tae Hun. I hope everyone else can rise again, and time will heal the torn in our heart.

2 comments:

  1. Tae,
    I wish I could have been there with my sister. It's still wierd to think what have happened. I hope you're doing good in the afterlife. I miss you and so does everyone else <3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will all miss you.. I represented my sis as well when I went to the church..

    ReplyDelete